Gisborne is a suburb about 54km north-west of Melbourne, Victoria. It is located within the
Macedon Ranges Shire and is also the largest town within the shire. Gisborne is known for its
country lifestyle and all its history.
Dja Dja Wurrung and Wurundjeri Aboriginal people were the original inhabitants of the area and still
to this day are still active in the area. It wasn’t until the 24th March 1837 that Gisborne was first
settled upon by European George Hamilton.
In 1840 a gentleman Henry Fyshe Gisborne, Commissioner of Crown Lands set up in Gisborne to
assist with the suppression of Aboriginal resistance. It was later on in 1851 when Gisborne was
surveyed and was named after him.
Gisborne Railway Station is serviced by V/Line and is a two-sided platform station. The railway was
first built in 1861 and services both Gisborne and the New Gisborne areas. As well as having a train
service the area.
Heritage Listed Sites:
- The Gisborne Mains Homestead – Brooking Road, Gisborne.
- Gisborne War Monument – Brantome Street, Gisborne.
- Macedon House – 1 Kilmore Road, Gisborne.
- Gisborne Shelter Shed – Melbourne Road & Hill Street, Gisborne.
- Gisborne first became a shire in 1871.
- Towns first Catholic Church was first built in 1875.
- Gisborne became apart of the Macedon Ranges Shire in 1995.
- Gisborne first post office opened on the 22nd March 1850.
- The Gisborne’s Court House and lock-up were first built in 1858 and is still standing
- Gisborne’s Pioneer Park first opened on Australia Day 1997.
- In 1840 the first public building in the district was called Travellers’ Rest Hotel but
later renamed the Bush Inn in honour of Henry Fyshe Gisborne.
Photo credits: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gisborne,_Victoria